During the 11th five year plan commencing from the financial year of 2007-08 to 2011-2012, handloom cloth of 350.45 lakh square meters valued at Rs 21931.62 lakh were produced till the end of 2008-09,generating employment to 103264 weavers.
Several new schemes have been introduced during this plan period and few ongoing schemes have been modified with enhancing activities. New programmes are being implemented for holistic development of handloom clusters with an aim to make the weavers self sustainable and self reliance. In the process, Cluster Development Programme is under implementation in three mega clusters and 23 mini clusters of the state. Activities have been initiated and supports have been extended to all categories of weavers like entrepreneurs, individual weavers etc. Boyanika have been restructured with additional flow of Rs 15.00 crores and steps for restructuring of Bastralaya is on. Special package for weavers announced by the Hon’ble Chief Minister on 29th August 2007 is under implementation. Emphasis have been laid on welfare majors i.e, coverage of more weavers under life/health insurance, supply of quality raw materials through establishment of new RMBs in the weavers clusters, supply of basic inputs and work-shed, capacity building through awareness and exposure visits and skill upgradation through trainings. A museum is being set up at Bhubaneswar to showcase the traditional and languishing handloom and handicraft items of Odisha. One calendaring unit for processing of tassar/cotton handloom fabrics in co-operative sector has been set up for the first time at Gopalpur, Jajpur.
During 2008-09, funds were released towards implementation of the various schemes/programmes as follows:
Promotion of Handloom Industries:
- Construction of 1000 Workshed involving Rs 250.00 lakh
- Part cost of premium amounting to Rs 42.668 lakh released towards enrollment of 47872 weavers under Health Insurance scheme.
- Corpus fund of Rs 35.00 lakh to 5 Raw Material Banks.
- Rs 50.00 lakh to State handloom Cluster, Nuapatna
- Rs 154.70 lakh to construction /renovation of 67 CFC/Go down/showroom and Rs 16.00 lakh for setting up of two dyeing units.
- Rs 70.85 lakh for supply of looms/dobby/jala/jacquards to 1989 weavers.
- Rs 59.90 lakh to different organisations to participate in various exhibitions.
- Rs 1.20 lakh was provided as margin Money assistance to 600 weavers.
- Rs 5.00 lakh was released towards preproduction of old / languishing handloom designs.
Strengthening of SADHAC - Rs 50.00 lakh was released.
Capacity Building in handloom sector through training & technological intervention:
- Rs 10.36 lakh was released for supply of modern weaving accessories to 384 weavers.
Design Intervention for Business development in handloom sector: (PPP)
- Rs 19.50 lakh has been released for setting up of one training –cum-production center at Manamunda, Boudh.
State Resource Center and research Development Cell:
- Rs 20.00 lakh released for taking up various activities.
- Apparel and garment promotion in handloom:
- Rs 150.00 lakh have been provided for setting up of 5 nos of satellite training centres under ATDC for promotion of garment manufacturing.
- Rs 140.33 lakh was released to organize 55 nos of skill upgradation training programme to train 1000 weavers.
- Life Insurance
- 28572 weavers were covered through Mahatma Gandhi Bunakar Bima Yojana.
- 3229 students were provided with scholarship of Rs 27.64 lakh
- Health Insurance
- 47872 weavers were covered under Health Insurance scheme.
- 162872 weavers availed cashless benefit of Rs 4,12,72,338/- and 2643 weavers benefited with Rs 72,20,086/- towards reimbursement of medical expenses.
Promotion of Textile Industries:
- Rs 11.24 lakh have been provided for exposure visit of entrepreneurs, and formulation of State Textile Policy.
Under Integrated Handloom Development Scheme,
- Rs 356.993 lakh has been released for implementation of Cluster Development Programme in 16 mini clusters with 7255 looms.
- Rs 179.083 lakh have been provided to 1019 weavers of 46 groups under Group Approach towards supply of basic Inputs, construction of work-shed, skill up gradation training
- 505.38 lakh under State Share and Rs.264.47 lakh towards Central share of assistance have been spent to clear up backlog pending claims of 378 nos. of Primary weavers co-operatives societies and three nos. of Apex co-operative organization.
10 % Special Rebate on sale of handloom cloth:
- Under rebate on sale of handloom clothes Rs.763.59 lakh towards Central share of assistance have been spent providing benefit to 510 nos. of PWCS and three nos. of Apex co-operative organization.
Marketing & Export promotion:
- 22 DLEs, 1 National Expo and 1 special Expo have been organized, besides two special exhibitions out of Cluster Development programme.